Monday, March 16, 2015

The Eulogy



                                                          “The Eulogy”
“I used to doubt the existence of God. I always thought he was just a figment of people’s imagination, a mere creation to satisfy their questions, but I was deeply wrong”, Jane firmly said in the church lectern.
“We might not see it, but he is always with us, helping us in ways we don’t understand. Sometimes, he helps us in the guise of other people”, she added.
Jane paused for a while. Tears streaked her eyes as she reminisced what happened in the last 2 years. It was still all clear…
“Jane!” exclaimed David as he held her hand. “We found an eye donor for you,” he added.
Jane didn’t know how to react. She was deeply overwhelmed by the news.
“You will soon see the world, you will soon see yourself in the mirror and realize how beautiful you really are”, David exclaimed.
It only took a week before the operation started but she needed to stay in the hospital for a few more months to recover. She noticed that David visited her less often then.
After 3 months, she has fully recovered and could see but David was nowhere to be found. She searched for him but to no avail.
She soon resented him for leaving her. After all, what’s the point of seeing when David is not around?
Jane wiped her tears and gathered her courage to speak.
“It was hard for me to stand on my feet. For all those moments, I only learned hatred and resentment. But even when I already had the eyes to see, I was not able to see the truth,” she continued and paused for a while.
“It was so hard for me. Then I learned that the guy I was looking for was exactly the one who gave me his eyes.  He gave up the light of his world just for me to see the light. And all along I thought he left me, but he just didn’t want me to see him suffering from cancer.”
More tears trickled down her face now, and she can’t stop sobbing.
“How I really wish to see him, maybe not in this life but in the next.  I know that we will be together in God’s Kingdom.” She paused again and heaved a deep sigh.
 “David might have passed away, but he will always be in my heart. Indeed, he will be with me, for he will see all the things I see.”



No comments:

Post a Comment